People are busy and have shorter attention spans with so many things going on in their lives. If your website fails to grip their attention from the start, chances are they will move on to something else at the drop of a hat. And even if they do decide to stay on your website, they often scan through pages without reading every single line in detail.
Keeping scanners on your website for longer will ultimately help you retain higher SEO rankings, and is a key reason to hire an SEO agency Melbourne. So how can you possibly excite these readers who scan through pages? Here’s how:
Keep Sentences Short And Snappy
You’re not writing an essay for your literature class so make sure you keep your sentences short and snappy when writing for fickle-minded web readers. Keep this in mind:
- People only scan through pages without reading sentences in detail
- Cover complex topics in different paragraphs and posts to break monotony
- Break articles into multiple paragraphs for easier readability – use only a few sentences per paragraph
- Use smaller words that are easy to comprehend – this is not a test of your vocabulary skills
- Make sure the most important sentences are at the top of your page
Readers typically tend to scan through pages so you’ll want to ensure your content is as easy-to-digest as possible.
Write Engaging Headings And Sub Headings
Headings and sub headings attract a reader’s attention before all else because they are typically bigger and bolder in size. To attract and retain the attention of readers, these headers and sub headers need to be engaging. Consider the following:
- Use action words in the headline and sub headings
- Use words that perfectly elaborate the newsworthiness of the story
- Add powerful words that can pull in readers
- Consider list-based headings to attract readers
- Build a sense of urgency
- Use keywords to optimise the article for SEO
If you want to attract and retain reader interest, you must find ways to make your headline and sub headings interesting and intriguing.
Don’t Underestimate The Power Of Bullet Points
Bulleted lists are a great way to break up the monotony of blocks of text and allow you to drive home your key messages effectively to readers. With bullet points to explain your point of view, you’ll be in a stronger position to engage with readers for the benefit of better SEO rankings over time. Consider the following:
- Bullet lists make it easy to scan through ideas – even if you have several points
- Bullet lists stand out from paragraph texts and can be more visually appealing for readers
- Bullet lists enable draw attention to vital information more easily
Bullet point lists can make a big difference to the way your content readers to people, so make sure you incorporate them when writing for your web pages.
Be Strategic When Highlighting Important Information Within Your Content
Readers who scan go through pages so quickly that it is easy for them to miss out on important information if it doesn’t stand out from the rest on the page. To make it easier for readers to pick up important pieces of information within your content pages, you need to be strategic by highlighting them. Consider the following:
- Establish what pieces of information are more important than others because you don’t want to end up highlighting everything
- Emphasise your content by using the ‘bold’ and ‘italic’ buttons for important pieces of information
- Use blocks or breakers to make this content more visual to readers so it resonates better with them
- Make sure the reader gets the gist of what you’re saying through highlighted text – use relevant and engaging sentences to explain important points
Important pieces of information shouldn’t get lost in your sea of content, so make sure you find ways to strategically highlight them within your web content pages.
When it comes to SEO rankings, you have plenty to do for your website but you must always write content with the assumption that readers will simply skim through the pages. Avoid texty and heavily worded articles because readers will easily get bored and move on to other pages, which is exactly what you are trying to avoid.